Iraq is searching for Palin’s Hot Photos while Kenya is Searching for Obama’s Religion
Google has launched a new product; Google Insight. With Google Insights for Search, you can compare search volume patterns across specific regions, categories, and time frames.
Utilizing Google Insight to understand global and local search patterns for US candidates (John McCain / Sarah Palin, Barack Obama / Joe Biden) of the 2008 elections, you notice the following:
* The numbers on the graph reflect how many searches have been done for a particular term, relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. They don’t represent absolute search volume numbers, because the data is normalized and presented on a scale from 0-100; each point on the graph is divided by the highest point, or 100. The numbers next to the search terms above the graph are summaries, or totals. Read more about how Google scale and normalize the data.
1. We have selected combined search terms. i.e we add (Sarah Palin) and (Palin) into a combined search term to view the data for both terms. You can use the plus operator (+) to combine multiple search terms.
2. In the last 30 days, Sarah Palin had the highest search points (51) vs other candidates.
3. The highest point on Sarah Palin graph was in 8/31/2008, most of the search was focused on her unmarried daughter pregnancy as reported by Google Trends. The top related searched keywords were (Palin baby, Sarah Palin pregnancy, Sarah Palin baby scandal, Sarah Palin baby, Bristol Palin pregnancy, etc).
4. Obama highest point was in 8/24/2008 after Obama-Biden speech. Google Trend top related keywords were (Obama Biden , Obama Biden speech)
5. In the last 30 days, the highest regional interest for Obama is coming from Kenya then US, while Palin’s highest regional interest is in US then Iraq.
Keyword Search: Obama’s Religion vs Palin’s Hot Photos:
6. Obama Keywords: Most of the searches are focused on Obama’s religion and background among other topics:
- Campaign / Speech: (Obama speech, Obama Campaign, Obama 2008, Obama News, obama.com, Obama Polls, senator Obama, Obama 08, Obama Website, etc.)
- Family: (Michelle Obama, Obama Family, Obama wife, obama father, obama parents, barack obama mother, etc)
- Religion: (Obama Muslim, Barack Obama Muslim, barack obama religion, is barack obama muslim, barack obama a muslim, etc)
- Background / Bio: (Obama biography, Barack Obama biography, Obama Bio, Barack Obama race, Obama Background, Obama education, etc)
- Views (Obama issues, Barack Obama abortion, Obama Views, obama healthcare, etc)
- Other: (Obama Video, Obama shirts, Obama t-shirts, Obama email, barack obama pictures, etc)
7. Many keyword searches for Barack Obama have misspellings: barak obama, barrack obama, barac obama, baraka obama, borac obama, etc)
8. On the other hand, Sarah Palin top searches are mainly focused on her pictures among other topics:
- Bio: (governor palin, governor sarah palin, sarah palin alaska, gov sarah palin, alaska governor sarah palin, sarah palin bio, palin history, palin bio, etc.)
- VP / Speech: (palin vp, mccain palin, palin vice, sarah palin vp, sarah palin vice, palin speech, palin for vp, sarah palin acceptance speech, etc)
- Pictures: (sarah palin pictures, sarah palin photos, sarah palin hot, sarah palin photo, sarah palin pics, sarah palin picture, pictures of sarah palin, sarah palin is hot, sarah palin hot photos, sarah palin bikini pics, etc)
- Vogue / Beauty Contest: (sarah palin beauty, sarah palin miss, sarah palin vogue magazine, sarah palin miss alaska, sarah palin beauty queen, sarah palin vogue
- Family: (todd palin, bristol palin, track palin, susan palin, bristol palin drinking,
- Views: (heath palin, sarah palin voting record
- Invistigation: (palin investigation, palin scandal, sarah palin under investigation
Sarah Palin Hot Bikini Pics
in Sep 2, 2008, Google Trends reported “Sarah Palin Hot Photos” and “Sarah Palin Bikini Pics” among the top 100 most searched keywords on Google.
“Sarah Palin Hot Photos” was ranked #34. The search peaked around 6pm PDT and continued for about 8-11 hours. “Sarah Palin Bikini Pics” was ranked #71. The search peaked around 12pm PDT and continued for about 14-16 hours.
in 9/02, Bill Tancer from HitWise wrote in TIME an article titled “Searching for Palin’s ‘Hot Photos’” where he shared “what exactly are Palin searchers seeking?”.
“it’s getting harder and harder to distinguish news about the 2008 presidential race from the latest chatter from celebrity gossip magazines.”
HitWise top 10 most popular search terms that appeared in conjunction with “Sarah Palin” were:
1. Sarah Palin
2. Vogue Magazine
4. Beauty Pageant
9. Alaska Governor
I believe Keyword Search can reveal American and Global users prospective of brands, news, events and even the 2008 election candidates.